Friday, November 22, 2013

Why a May Pole Celebration

April 29, 2011
People have asked me...why a May Pole celebration?
In 1958, I was the beloved queen of The Estrella Triangle Daughters of the Eastern Star (a female branch of Masons)..I had regalia..I even wore a gown one year. I have always been the queen! When I was in kindergarten, we had a spring celebration and I was supposed to be queen of the May...the maypole. But, I got the chicken pox and couldn't go! So now I get to be queen of the May each and every year.
May Day was initially a pagan right of fertility and spring...now, it's just
a fun thing. There’s music and laughter and joy. Most people have never seen
a maypole, but it used to be done all the time when I was young.

When we decided to host the first May Day Celebration on the lawn here at
Woodstock Trading Company many years ago, we had to put things together
to create a maypole. We went to the hardware store and bought some PVC,
later we used a galvanized pole realizing this would become a permanent
annual event. We needed an additional couple of feet to make it
proper...tall enough for length of ribbon, that we screw on to the top to
attach the ribbons to it.

Everyone gets a ribbon...we dance to music and you interweave with one
another to form designs on the pole with the ribbons. It is particularly fun
for the kids ...and it's free. Just come on out and enjoy spring...period!
No worries that it takes me 2 weeks to untangle all the ribbons when you’re
gone. LOL!

Come on out and celebrate spring!
SUNDAY MAY 1ST FROM 12-4PM. LIVE MUSIC: THE JUGBAND www.thejugband.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors